Monday, August 15, 2011

What is a Home?!?!?

The definition of home is the place where one lives. But is a home not much more than that?

When I was 20 my parent divorced. I was upset that my home was being destroyed. I got married shortly after their divorce was final. I was happy as could be getting married to Carlos. I moved from Pearland TX to Flagstaff AZ. I hated it here. I didn't know where I belonged. I knew I was supposed to be with my husband but I didn't have a home. Carlos and I lived with his parents. I was and still am grateful for them letting us live with them. But I was not at home. I felt lost there. I felt as if my privacy was always invaded. I would get off work and drive around town forever avoiding going to their house. I couldn't possibly go to a home where I didn't feel like I had a place.

This past weekend Carlos and I moved to a little apartment. Its small, its nothing great, but its home. This apartment is perfect. Its everything that I lost when my parents divorced. It is a HOME.

When I was little my dad always told me that outside these four walls of our home the world is mean it will tear you down and it will make you want to die, but inside these four walls we will love each other, we will encourage each other. We were like any other family, we fought, we yelled and screamed from time to time, but for the most part we were loving. I knew that no matter what happened in life that I was going to be OK. I was going to have a home... I would always have a place to be safe and to be who I am.

I lost that home when my parents divorced and I moved out to Flagstaff.

Now as of August 12th 2011 I have a home again.

In our home we are happy, we are loving. I am free to be who I want to be. I am free to be loud and crazy. I am free to be silent and write in my blog. I am free. To be free is a wonderful feeling and I love being free.

Home is more than the place you live. Home is where you are free, safe and loved! Home is our little apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment